- Published: Sunday, 09 April 2017 18:06
- Written by Muhammad Yamin
With more than 700 advancements, as tremendous new features like a multilingual association manager, custom fields and an enhance workflow, Joomla! 3.7 is understandably something to celebrate and it’s good to see why it has excited the Joomla! Community.
Major new featuresintroduced in Joomla! 3.7
--> Custom Fields
- using extra fields, including text fields, selects and 13 other field types, in your users, articles and contacts
--> Multilingual Associations Component
- able to translate your content from a single unified interface easily
--> Improved Workflow
- create a category, article, and menu item from within the menu manager all in one step
--> Backend Menu Manager
- just like the frontend, manage the administrator menu, for each of your backend user groups, create a different configuration
--> Do more with TinyMCE
- introducing new buttons to easily add contacts and menu links and many other enhancements
--> Easier Extension Maintenance
- prevent administrators to accidentally uninstall necessary extension package elements
--> User Experience
- little changes that build all the difference: as your User Experience is improved thanks to the display of your global settings, a compliment backend template, the probability to share sessions between apps
Site preparation for 3.7
Joomla! 3.7 going to be a normal update just like antecedent 3.x versions. If your site is not already running 3.6.5, we strongly want you to update instantly. Joomla! 3.6.5 was a security release and your site is at risk if you are using an antecedent version.
As always, before upgrading it is very important to update all third party extensions and also to take and test a full backup of your site.
This’s also a great time to bond with your hosting company and check your PHP and database versions as well. We suggest upgrading to PHP 7 or 7.1 as it will bring a significant speed boost to your site.